Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Public Records Worth Publishing


In the midst of moving, I keep running across documents that ought to be published online. These are of much greater value to the masses than your neighbor's deed of trust, yet no risk is posed by placing them online.


Why isn't there a repository for truly valuable personal documents? Why do we even argue about whether to place someone's life and assets at risk when there are countless drawings, notes, and love letters rattling around in the back of a drawer somewhere that would enrich the lives of everyone who read them? I'd be more than happy to pay that $14 first page, $3 each page thereafter for such a document to be preserved.


My 5 year old neighbor coordinates walking Pockets, her poodle, with my arrival home from work so that we can visit for a few minutes. Like clockwork, she is always smiling, waiting, leash in hand as I pull in each afternoon. To an empty nest Mom, this is a welcome, anticipated sight.


Since Easter was nearing I decided to make a little Easter basket for my tiny neighbor as a surprise. Filling it with craft supplies, chocolates and a fuzzy bunny who clung to the handle, I slipped downstairs to secretly leave it by her door. Only the surprise was on me.. she was arrriving home with her mom at the same moment. They were both thrilled and the joy in her eyes was worth stopping packing for a few minutes to pack a colorful basket.


Last night after coming home late, I found a note stuck in the door. In measured, childish handwriting, was a sweet thank you note:


Dear Jan,

Thank you Very much for My easter basket. I like the bunny the Best. I Named her Bunny Brianna. I liked everything. thank you. Love Jadan


The second precious document was discovered when clearing that kitchen drawer we all have but couldn't inventory if our lives depended on it. On a page from a note pad were these words, written by my son years ago:


What a wonderful day, just 'cause the sun came up. Every day is a miracle. Everything around us proves it. How lucky we are to be witness to God's quiet miracles. So much we take for granted!


Reality is this; we place our neighbors and entire country at risk while allowing precious documents like the ones above to be discovered by accident, years later. In case we ever come to our senses and provide a respository for similar documents, I'll place these in a more secure place after the move.


If you're concerned about security breach by your county government, just send me a note at findmyid@mindspring.com and provide your name, county, and state. I'll be happy to check your records free of charge, but don't expect a reply for a day or so. I've decided to take a little breather to focus on thoughtful children and "God's quiet miracles".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home