Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Winter Advisory - Check Your ID

A few days ago it finally occured to me that cold weather was on the way whether I was ready or not so I set about to check all the things on the car that I have capability and knowledge about. It's a short list.

Windshield wipers ok. Ditto the oil. Tires still fat and round. But how about the radiator? The water level appeared to be several inches lower than recommended so I picked up a container of antifreeze and drove back to my apartment. The old dishcloth in the trunk worked fine to open the now slightly warm cover. My car key broke open the little foil seal. Now to just check the directions and pour, right? That's where I hit a snag.

I know the men reading this are rolling their eyes about now but I am remembering an incident from years ago when I joined up with the Literacy League. One of the first questions was why we felt we'd be good teachers to people who couldn't speak a lick of English. My confident answer was:

Because learning to read is simple if you just have a little patience.

The class leader smiled, handed me a book in Russian, sat back in her chair and said, "Read that to me. And I'm patient, so take all the time you need."

Point taken.

So I'm looking at the antifreeze in several languages and none of them were clear, including the English version. A neighbor passed by and I asked, "Do I just pour this in? Just like this?"

He wrinkled his brow, leaned deep into the car and said nodded, "Yeah, looks right. Try not to spill any though, it's lethal to dogs." Then walked away.

I tried not to focus on the splash seeping into my hand or the Mexican groundskeeper who was watching on intently from a few yards away. Just as I tipped the edge, he shouted and came running over.

"Agua! Agua! Agua!"

I stopped mid-tilt and placed the container into his reaching hands, where he pointed to the words in Spanish and then in English, MIX WITH WATER.

And suddenly there it was, clear as a bell.

I don't know what damage may have been caused if I'd simply 'guesstimated' the directions but am truly thankful someone nearby was well-versed in car matters, no matter the national origin or native tongue.

The land registries are that way no matter where you live in America. There are almost as many directions and software companies representing them as there are counties online. Over time, we've become well-read in most of them and that's why we offer to check your records for free. Because frankly, it takes longer to see which one your county is using and then explain it all to you, but if that's what you prefer we'll be happy to do that, too.

Whether you want to check your own records or want us to do it, we're here for you and will promptly let you know if and what your county is broadcasting to the world. Just send an email to: FindMyID@mindspring.com

In addition to understanding land registry lingo, we're patient souls.

www.FindMyID.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home